Thursday, August 19, 2010

Potatoes! Potatoes! Potatoes!

Hello dearies! So this morning, we left Utah (after borrowing some wifi from the local McDonalds) and started the trek up to Idaho. We went to Blackfoot, ID, for a tour of the potato museum. The southern part of Idaho looks desperately thirsty, but is still lovely, all greens and yellows with hills eventually rolling into to mountains dotted with scrub brush. Ranch and farmland surrounded the highway, and there were quite a few signs reminding us that we were on an open range, so over the next hill there could be potential hamburger.

We got to Blackfoot around 2:30, and paid our $2.50 (thanks, AAA discount!) to explore the wonders of the Idaho Potato museum. My verdict? Meh. I know, what was I expecting, right? A little more than a display of various Mister Potato Heads and the world's biggest potato chip. Okay, the potato signed by Dan Quayle was pretty cool, but even the gift shop was sort of sad, and I tried really hard to engage the clerk in conversation but she wasn't having it. I really wanted to know what kind of person decides to work at the potato museum, and I guess the answer is an apathetic 20-something who is moving to Orlando in two days. I really wish there'd been more potato fun facts, but I did learn that potatoes originated in South America. I'd assumed they'd fallen like manna from heaven. Shows what I know. Not to be thwarted by our potato museum experience, however, Lizzie and I went to a nearby diner and had some pretty fabulous potato salad. We also went to another really depressing museum which showcased a diorama of the Lewis and Clark expedition. Man, I love dioramas.

1 comment:

  1. I wish there was a picture of the diorama. Can't get enough of tiny L&C.

    ReplyDelete