Monday, January 28, 2013

We're on a Great Big Convoy

 BEHOLD! BATMAN'S MEMPHIS HEADQUARTERS!  No, seriously, look at the building between the signs in that first picture.  Nananananananana BAT BUILDING.

We left Nashville on Sunday morning and faced our biggest drive yet--out to Dallas.  It would end up being a little under 10 hours, and we'd cut through the rest of Tennessee and Arkansas on our way.  We decided to stop in Memphis for some barbecue, and found a place in Midtown (which is a weird combo of sketchy and college town, hence the bus in the picture?--okay--why did they make an anti-gun graphic where the gun is pointing at the head of a young black man?  How about no) that boasted great food and had a similar mix of locals and college hipsters.  I was afraid that it would be like Red Bones in Davis Square--everyone is always like "EHMERGERD, RED BONES HAS THE BEST BBQ," but I am sorry: everyone who says that is the wrongestest.  Their food is uninspired and uninteresting, and you always have to deal with its crowds of douchey people with ironic facial hair to boot. Anyway, this place, though similar in looks and demographics to Red Bones, had wonderful food, perfectly portioned so as not to cause road-trip regret miles later.  Oh!  N.B. Most folks I know from the south are like "y'all here in Boston are the worst drivers," and before this trip, I would have agreed, but Nashville drivers are FAR WORSE, and even Randy agreed when I mentioned this to him.  (He couldn't tell me why TN is called the Volunteer state, though.  He should read up on this in case it comes up in an audition).

After lunch, we kept on going and going, stopping only once in Arkansas to pee and to WITNESS A CAR CHASE! 

J/K, it turned out not to be a car chase, but just some dude who was driving too fast and careened into a Bank of America

Anyway, pretty awesome that Lizzie and I happened to catch what will be the biggest story for some time in Geyer Springs while stopping to avail ourselves of their facilities.

Arkansas is sorta sketch on the West Memphis border, but then rocks the whole "Natural State" angle with pretty landscape and gorgeous skies.  We drove through Little Rock, and then Hope and gave a shout out to Bill Clinton, but couldn't stop as we needed to get to Dallas, since I was flying out Monday morning. (Lizzie is going further west, but unfortunately I have to get back to da office.) We drove on through the dark, finally navigating Dallas' complicated interchanges around ten, checking in just before eleven.  Lizzie got some work done as I drooled on myself and watched some HD "A Knight's Tale." Remember Shannyn Sossamon, you guys?  Yeah, me too, even though she spells her name wrong.

When I got up this morning, I celebrated by slipping in the tub (see "Nana Shannon," per the previous post) and smashing the shin of my already dicked up leg on the outside of it, which kept me from falling, but created a huge disgusting knot, which I will use to explain my limp to people who don't need to know about how I turn into bambi on ice when I have three drinks.  This complicated the fact that my flight from Dallas to Charlotte, where I had a 25 minute layover, was late.  I could tell who the other folks going to Boston were by their winter gear, and even though my leg was throbbing with every step, it amused me greatly to see the herd of us in our pea coats running in a pack, sweating in the Charlotte heat, over to the next terminal to catch our flight.  It was snowing when I got home, a far cry from the 70 degrees I left in Dallas.  Alas.




No comments:

Post a Comment