Saturday, January 12, 2013

Vampires and Silver Bullets!

 Look at me, trying to be as cool as Jean-Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau, and failing.  My pointing arm is too high up, and I don't have a Coors light can crushed in my hand.  I admire the diligence of the young, drunk person who gave a beer to Le comte de Rochambeau, but I feel like this war hero deserves better than watered down piss. 

Rochambeau played a huge role in helping America win the Revolutionary war.  He departed Newport in July of 1781, cruising through Connecticut to join Washington (who actually commanded fewer troops than Rochambeau) in New York, the combined forces then marching onto Virginia to a little siege I like to call "The Siege of Yorktown" and then onto a little battle I like to call "the Battle of the Chesapeake."  In late September, he hooked up with his pal the Marquis de Lafayette, and was vital in forcing the surrender of Cornwallis.  So, while it is a popular joke to tell the French that "if it weren't for us, you'd be speaking German," in actuality, if it weren't for the French, we'd be speaking...er, English.  You know what I mean.

Anyway, victorious, Rochambeau returned home to France, and WAS ALMOST GUILLOTINED during the reign of terror.  France, why your revolution gotta be so creepy?  Napoleon I gave him a pension, and he died at the age of 81 in 1807.  This statue (a replica of one in Paris) was donated in his honor in 1934.

No comments:

Post a Comment