Sunday, April 28, 2013

In Search of: Salem, New Hampshire

As you are well aware, Lizzie and I never do anything or go anywhere without being 100% prepared in advance.  We headed north on 95 to New Hampshire, and as we passed through the Hampton tolls, Lizzie said "I'm just expecting there will be a sign that says 'Salem' soon," to which I helpfully said, "I think Salem is off of 93."  This statement probably would've been more helpful at the beginning of our journey, seeing as Lizzie lives a stone's throw from 93, but we charmingly always believe that the other one of us probably knows what's going on.  It's sort of like O'Henry's "Gift of the Magi," only with ignorance instead of Christmas Gifts.  We had to take a detour through scenic Greenfield, and the penalty for our lack of planning was 35 minutes of travel, and $3 in tolls.  Turns out we had gone way further north and east than we should have.  Oh well.  Also, the picture above denotes our excellent footwear selection for this rocky hike through a hilly, rocky, (did I mention rocky?) New Hampshire forest.  It inspired me to write this song:

Sensible shoes!  Sensible shoes!  Whenever we travel we wear sensible shoes!

Every time one of us tripped over a tree root or rock (often) I sang a nice chorus of "Sensible Shoes."  I'm working on fleshing it out a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment