Saturday, June 18, 2011

My job? Fighting to the death. What's yours?





On the top you'll see a picture of a bunch of tourists (THERE ARE SO MANY OF US) in front of Constantine's arch. Constantine was the Emperor who legalized Christianity in the 4th century. On the right, you'll see the Colosseum, where, pre legalization, the Christians were fed to lions. After the great fire in AD 64, Nero expanded the area (adding a nice statue of himself, of course), and in 80 AD, Titus (famous for his sacking of Jerusalem) celebrated the completion of the top floor by killing 9,000 animals (and Gabriella said 3,000 people as well) to the delight of the crowds in some inaugural games. I know it's a different mind set, but I can't imagine crowding in through the gates (labeled with Roman numerals so you could find your seat) to see a bunch of people being forced to murder each other, or to be eaten by animals, or to see animals getting killed.

You had to climb this killer set of super steep death-stairs to get to the top, from where I took the picture on the bottom, which, LOOKS LIKE A VAGINA! WOOT! This area was originally underneath a wooden floor which was covered in sand (arena being the Latin word for sand). These corridors or rooms would've held the gladiators or animals waiting to compete. They've found no evidence of latrines in the Colosseum (they think they were outside of it somewhere) but that's okay, because if I were a Gladiator, I just would've peed my skirt in fear. I would've been the saddest Gladiator ever, not brave, like the Gladiators of today.



1 comment: