Sunday, May 15, 2011

High School's Over

Lizzie and I went to Oak Street Elementary, which is actually just two wings of the high school. We’d occasionally, on our way to the field house, pass by some of the BIG KIDS who seemed somehow even older than our parents. It was bizarre coming back as the big kids (after a three year hiatus) and even more bizarre coming back now. As we rounded the circle drive in front of the main entrance, my throat tightened a little and the old fear resurfaced. High school was decidedly unpleasant for me, for while I excelled academically, as I possessed the triple threat of being poor, fat and nerdy and therefore was quite the failure socially. Lizzie and I had many of our AP classes together, but we never seemed to line up PE, meaning that the majority of my Physical Education was learning that no one wanted to be badminton partners with me. (Terrible, isn't it? I assume I'm going to win some sort of journalism award for that heart-felt revelation). Things turned around for me, as they do for many people, in college, and now look at me, sliding devil-may-care down the banisters. WHEEEE HIGH SCHOOL! THE BEST YEARS OF YOUR LIFE!!*

*No they're not.

No comments:

Post a Comment